Saturday, December 1, 2012

Part 6: Finishing Touches

Padding & Liner

For padding I used thick blocks of foam and cut them to 3/4 inch thick.



Start cutting out a pattern and testing each fit. Keep trimming until the helmet stays secure on your head. The padding should fit fairly tight on your face.



For the liner, I picked up some regular grey fabric. You can also use automotive headliner fabric. Just make sure the fabric is comfortable and and not too thick.


Cut off a piece of fabric slightly larger than what you need and lay it in the helmet to see how it fits. Glue the fabric around the edges of the helmet and then trim off the excess. I used velcro to secure the rest of the fabric, just in case I ever need to fix anything inside the helmet.



Trim any excess fabric from the visor area. Your vision is blocked enough as it is.



2 comments:

  1. I would like to buy one from you if that would be possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies for the late reply. I haven't considered making another one due to the cost and time it takes to make one of these. However, right now I am considering selling this helmet. It would most likely be an ebay auction. I'll be sure to let you know if I do, if you're still interested).

      Delete